About Me

Thursday 22 December 2016

The Bride


I could recall when I was not more than a 5th grader. Early in the morning during summer vacations of late 80’s a good time for sleeping till late, I got up with the sound of a distant firecracker. Oh, Great this was the hint of wedding celebrations as per tradition. There would be Bride and groom both of the looking very beautiful. How happy everyone would be on the occasion.

 Usually, firecrackers shoot before the barat (relatives and friends meet with the groom to take him to brides place) is ready to go, Barat reached the place of the bride and especially when barat come back with the bride.  

The sound of firecracker tickled me either does some groom is getting ready for an outstation Barat or does some bride has arrived home after travelling last night from another city.
Though it was an early time I barely remember that someone at home was up and I was a little wary if someone is up would call me to recite Quran so I hold my breath and started imagining that how pretty the bride would be, She must be wearing Henna, lots of makeup, beautiful jewelry, amazing wedding dress and slept again. 

When I woke up on my routine of late hours sleep during summer vacations nothing was going on my memory about the sound of firecracker and nothing to imagine about the bride.
This was a very usual morning up till now if I cast shadows of my memory. I had my favourite of that time breakfast of Mango milkshake and Roghni roti (bread made of dough kneaded with a lot of ghee and cooked on cast iron tawa pan). After breakfast, I started my homework and my grandparents were reading newspapers my mother and phupho (paternal auntie) were busy in domestic chores. 

Later sister of my amman (grandmother) came and started gossiping there was just a light chit-chat over tea and some vegetable to cut for lunch.  She told that there was a blast at 05:00 AM on Pakistan Railways Station Lahore. Many have been expired, many have been wounded and many were scared and traumatised now the morning was not usual like the other mornings. The morning was unusual that is why I am writing about it.

She was somehow an eye witness of that incident as she was one of the passersby after some time of explosion when saw a disturbance on the spot she visited the place and saw one of the miserable sights of her life according to her words.


 She also told a bride lost her life in the incident. But I realised how imprudent I was to think of a wedding celebration rather think of a blast and pray for wounded to get their health back soon. I must pray and recite Quran may everyone live long and started thinking again how the poor bride would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment